10 September 2010

Missing Leavenworth, Kansas... well, sort of!

Lately, there has been something missing in my life. It's not Jesus...got Him! Happy and healthy family members? Check! Warm home...comfortable bed...check, check!

After much soul searching, I realized just exactly what has been lacking in my quest for "total happiness." And, unfortunately, I had to acknowledge that it can only be found in one place in this world...Leavenworth, Kansas.

Now before you think I've completely lost my mind (after all...the VERY last place I would want to be stationed again is Fort Leavenworth, KS, for reasons which would most likely be obvious to anyone who has actually BEEN there), let me explain further.

You see, there is this tiny, little hole in the wall on a tiny, little street in the tiny, little town of Leavenworth, KS. And this tiny, little hole in the wall has a name: "Baan Thai." And let me assure you, Baan Thai offers the most AMAZINGLY delicious Thai curry in the United States. And I was fortunate enough to experience this amazingly delicious Thai curry approximately once per week, thanks to a very understanding husband!

I've had a hankering for Thai curry every since we moved to our current duty station (approx 1 1/2 years ago). I've tried various tiny, little holes in the wall around here, but to no avail. There is *not* anything that compares to Baan Thai. So, I was forced to do what any sensible Thai curry loving human being would do...I went on a culinary journey to learn how to make the best possible Thai curry I can make in hopes that it would somehow fill the small hole which Baan Thai has left in my life.
And, while it could never completely measure up (and I'm sure it is as far from "authentic" as it could be!), it tastes pretty good, if I do say so myself. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Note: This is *not* inexpensive to make...but it sure is delicious!

Monk's Thai Curry
sesame oil
2 - 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 Red Bell Peppers, 1 sliced, 1 diced
1 Orange Bell Pepper, 1/2 sliced, 1/2 diced
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, 1/2 sliced, 1/2 diced
2 zucchini, sliced
2 yellow squash, sliced
fresh bean sprouts (2-3 handfuls)
small can bamboo shoots
2 Carrots
2 Medium Onions, diced
Garlic (4-5 cloves), diced
Ginger (2" piece), diced
3 - 4 tbsp. Thai "Red Curry" paste
2 cans Coconut Milk
3-4 Tbsp. creamy Peanut Butter
1 lemon
salt
fresh cilantro
rice (I prefer Jasmine rice, but white rice is fine)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large frying pan, saute chicken strips for a few minutes in Sesame Oil to brown the chicken. Transfer chicken into a VERY large baking dish (perhaps even two, depending on amount of vegetables you use). Now, on top of the chicken, slice 1 red bell pepper, 1/2 orange pepper, and 1/2 yellow pepper into small strips. Then sprinkle bean sprouts over top of peppers. Add a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and the zest of 1 lemon.

Next, slice or shave carrots, and drain bamboo shoots and add them to the baking baking dish.

Slice zucchini and squash over the bamboo shoots. You now have a "layered" baking dish with chicken on bottom and veggies on top.

Now, in the large frying pan, add a bit more sesame oil. Add diced onions, remaining peppers (diced), garlic cloves, and ginger. Saute until onions are nearly translucent.

You can also add mushrooms or celery at this point (which I did), but it is not necessary and in the future I will not be using them.
Now, at this point your kitchen will smell so good (like mine did) due to the garlic and ginger, that you might actually forget about taking any further pictures (like I did) because you will be salivating and anticipating the feast that is to come! Nevertheless, you must NOT lose track of the fact that the cooking process MUST continue.

Next, using either a hand blender or a food processor, puree the contents of the frying pan. Put the contents back into the frying pan, over medium heat, and bring to a simmer.

Stir in 2 cans coconut milk and continue heating. Add 3-4 Tbsp Thai red curry paste. Incorporate 3-4 Tbsp creamy peanut butter (to taste), and salt (you definitely NEED salt) to taste. Finally add a small handful of fresh cilantro and the juice of one lemon.

Now, your curry sauce is finished. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables. You can give a little stir to make sure all the vegetables are coated with sauce. Cover with foil or baking lid, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment