07 October 2010

The Invisible Military Spouse


Do you see me? Here I am, look!
I’m behind the big flag that represents our nation and all that it stands for.

Now do you see me? No?
I’m behind the large army awaiting the orders of the Commander in Chief.

You still don’t see me?
Look behind the brigade of soldiers standing at attention, “ready to do battle on your behalf.”

Do you see me now?
I’m back here…waving at you from behind the man I chose to love and honor through good and bad, sickness and health.

You still don’t see me?
I am a military spouse.
Though I am invisible to you, just know that I am here.
I am the safety net that catches my soldier when he comes home from deployment. I have a job that requires me to be on call 24/7, yet no one pays me for it. I have real desires, real goals, and ambitions of my own; I’ve just chosen to put them aside for the good of my family and my nation. My life has all the restrictions of the military, but none of the recognition. My life is not my own.

I am a military spouse. I am strong, yet I am growing weary.
How long must I remain invisible before I simply cease to exist?

I am a military spouse.
Though you might not see me, I am here.
I am still standing behind that man, who stands behind that brigade, which stands behind that army, which stands behind that nation, which serves and protects you.

I am a military spouse. Do you see me?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Erika! Did you write it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nic.
    Yes, I just wrote it.
    I'm not having a very good day :-(

    ReplyDelete